The Monmouth Review of 4 February 1899 reported that Dr. T.H. Hanna had received a telegram that morning announcing the birth of a son at midnight to Mr. and Mrs. T.J. Gillespie of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. He will be known as John Porter Gillespie.
HIs obituary is found in the Pittsburgh paper.
A memorial service for J. Porter Gillespie, retired vice president of the former Pittsburgh and West Virginia Coal Company and founder of the McKees Rocks Boys Club, would be held at 12:30 p.m. the next Saturday in Clavary Episcopal Church on Shady Avenue in Shadyside. Mr. Gillespie, 91, who lived in Shadyside for many years, died of pneumonia Thursday at Roland Park Place, a Baltimore retirement community where he had lived for five years. He helped found the coal company in 1959 and retired in 1971 when the firm was sold to Industrial Fuels, a company now defunct. He served as the first president of the McKees Rocks Rotary Club and in 1937, its first project was the founding of the Boys Club, which he served as president until 1963. He later became an honorary board member. He was a former vice president and director of Lockhart Iron and Steel from 1920 until 1943 when he retired as vice president of wrought ion sales. He was on Lockhart's board of directors from 1963 until 1987. Surviving were a daughter, Patricia Cook of West Chester, Chester county, two sons, J. Porter Jr. of San Franciso and Richard of Wilton, Connecticut, seven grandchildren and one greatgranddaughter. There would be no visitation. Arrangments would be handled by Jenkins Funeral Home in Baltimore.
Change Date:12 APR 2000